Saturday, April 30, 2011

Designing Front Packaging- Archaic Sentiment in a Crumbling Industry

An album cover is the music industry’s equivalent of the New York Time’s front-page photography. It’s big, it’s bold, and it better be good if it is going to get anyone to sit down a take a look at the content. Besides being a marketing ploy, an album cover is also the visual expression of the musical content.

A memorable album cover can even embed the record into music history. Some very creative and rather famous examples of this are the collaged Beatles' “St. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”, the Rolling Stones' album “Sticky Fingers” that used real zippers, and Andy Warhol’s peelable banana on the Velvet Underground and Nico’s self-titled release.

I am a music enthusiast and while albums may be supposedly declining in popularity, I still consider the cover design and liner notes to be an integral aspect of the music being released. And thus I was ecstatic when I had the opportunity to make a bid for designing one. Then I was nervously delighted when my idea was accepted.

I know that I am not Robert Mapplethorpe, nor am I Roger Dean, but I did my best to create something that reflected the sentiment of the album while still showing my artistic tendencies.

Here it is:



John Amadon’s album “Seven Stars” is the consummation of 2 years of diligent work and creative focus. I was lucky enough to hear the early versions of most of these songs and watch them develop into this final product. The sentimental lush beauty of the songs filled my ears and left me enrapt even from the first few times that I listened to the the demos.

The album is currently only available online or as a cd Digipak (a recycled cardboard & plastic combination packing). I would be holding my breathe for a Vinyl release but it’s just not going to happen.

You can listen to the album and purchase the digital version here.

You can purchase the cd or download individual songs here.







Now I know that you have already snickered and thought “put a bird on it”. However, I can assure you that I did not just slap some birds on this creative venture. The flock is flying in the shape of Pleiades and the size of each bird reflects the corresponding size of each star. And I shouldn’t need to mention this, but just in case, the rising sun is shrouded in gray clouds for a reason. It is hope being wrapped in a blanket of heavy truths. It speaks to the intent to pursue marching onwards despite whatever setbacks may occur and in spite of the dark natures that cling around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment